Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Dion Should Drop France


Yesterday, Ezra Levant raised the issue of Stephane Dion's dual Canadian and French citizenships. The story got a bit bigger today when Dion was asked about it and he told us everyone should know he's 100% loyal to Canada. (Sorry, no links; I'm posting from my Blackberry. Check Bourque.)

I feel like there's a lot of potential for this story to get bigger because it's the kind of thing that just looks wrong and is hard to defend. It's hard to defend because dual citizenship doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.

If Dion is 100% loyal to Canada then it's safe to say he's not a very good citizen of France. He's reassuring us that in the unlikely event of a Canada-France conflict in his life or career he'll put us first. So, then, what is the meaning of being a French citizen? He's not loyal to the country and just carries an extra passport.

Ezra's comments about France's policies are drivel, but he makes a fair point when he asks how Canadians would react if, say, Stephen Harper had a dual Canadian and American citizenships. We wouldn't like it all.

Anyway, the trump-card reason for Dion to drop his French citizenship right away is that this is an issue that can take off and seriously undermine his electoral chances. If his first loyalty is always to Canadians then I say he ought to drop his second passport before it blocks his ability to get elected and help make Canada a better place.



UPDATE: I should make clear that Dion doesn't actually have a French passport and never has owned one. In any case I meant that line figuratively.

3 Comments:

At 12:03 AM, Blogger James Bow said...

I disagree. My wife is dual American-Canadian, and I intend to make my daughter dual American-Canadian as well. I reside in Canada, and nobody questions my loyalty to this country, or that of my daughter or wifes -- at least, not within my earshot, if they don't want a bit argument.

If this manufactured issue gets much bigger, I won't be happy. Neither will the 600,000 Canadians out there who hold dual citizenships. I'd seriously consider picketing his house. How dare he tell me that my wife is not Canadian enough.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Mark Dowling said...

Andrew,

I'm just wondering where it's going to stop. The GG has given up her DC and now Dion is under pressure to do so even though he isn't PM yet.

It's ironic that Ignatieff was supposed to be the "foreigner" though he never took out US citizenship - now all of a sudden Dion isn't loyal enough.

To me this is aimed at eliminating dual citizenship as the Tories floated a trial balloon on this about four months ago I think. Blame the Lebanese who criticised Harper during the evacuation I guess.

I'm hoping to apply for citizenship next year, and if keeping my Irish citizenship means never being PM I guess I'll have to live with that.

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger Geoffrey Laxton said...

My understanding is that anyone born in Quebec may acquire French citizenship.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home