Monday, December 04, 2006

Dion in Quebec

I'm not arrogant enough to claim that I understand Quebecers better than the likes of Chantal Hebert, however I think she... and most other media commentators... are going to be proven wrong on the subject of Stephane Dion.

It's one thing for columnists to critique a minister's positions on issues and find that the public is against him. It's an entirely different thing for the public to find him leading the national party and to see and hear what he has to say without filters.

I believe he will do well, and soon.

UPDATE: I wrote the above without actually reading Chantal Hebert's column today. Now that I have, I am simply amazed. She suggests that the Liberals will be much weaker in Quebec than they were during the last election. I'm willing to bet that she's quite wrong.

2 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger Mark Dowling said...

Andrew

I would contend that Dion needs to get out of Quebec and into BC, ON and AB to pitch himself as a national leader and leave the Bloc without a target. A preoccupation with playing defence in Quebec will be his undoing.

Having a sitdown with Gordon Campbell about how the Liberal brand in BC is becoming ever more carbon-coated would be a good start.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Andrew Spicer said...

I agree and I expect he will. I hope he keeps his sense and doesn't start trying too hard in Quebec based on all these naysayers. But given that he didn't change his Quebec-issue positions during the leadership campaign I expect he won't go changing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home